¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions medium diced
2 tablespoons garlic finely diced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3 – 28 ounce cans whole peeled imported san marzano tomatoes
¼ cup fresh basil roughly chopped
1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add olive oil and when it is barely hot and beginning to shimmer, add the onion and sauté until they are translucent and soft.
3. Add the finely chopped garlic stirring for just a minute.
4. Add the salt, pepper and thyme.
5. Add the canned tomatoes and crush them with a spoon or potato masher.
6. Simmer for about an hour, stirring frequently.
7. Roughly chop the basil and add it to the sauce.
8. Simmer for an additional 10 – 15 minutes.
9. Pass all of the sauce through a food mill, scraping the bottom occasionally.